I officially have a 4 month old! Happy 4 months Levi!
How have 4 months gone by?! It feels like he just came into this world yesterday. It’s amazing how one little person can change your life forever. He has been such a shining light in our lives and Hubby & I just can’t believe that this great blessing is ours.
I am going to try to post an update on life with our sweet baby each month. Mostly this is for selfish reasons- to have a place to store all of the memories and milestones. But also, to help other mamas see what they can look forward to in the upcoming months. Just remember that every baby is different- what my baby does during Month 4 yours may do during Month 3 or Month 6. Who cares when they meet these milestones- the blessing is that they are being met!
Nickname- Boogie (Boogs for short) 🙂
Personality- Levi is very strong willed & determined- when he wants something he will try his best to get it (kind of like his mama that way). He is mostly easy going & happy- unless he is not getting what he wants 😉
Sleep- Levi was a great sleeper, sleeping through the night since he was about 1 month old…& then we hit the 4 month sleep regression. I wasn’t sure what was going on. We went from sleeping through the night to waking up twice a night. Luckily that only lasted a few days, but we are still waking up once a night. He seems genuinely hungry so I change him, feed him and he goes right back to sleep until 7am. I am still following all of my tips that helped him sleep through the night from a young age that I wrote about in this post. Hopefully he will cut out this middle of the night wake up soon, but for now I am enjoying the early morning snuggles.
Food- At his 4 month check up his pediatrician gave us the okay to start solids. I felt like this was a “mommy moment” where you question yourself and what is best for your child. I have read up on baby led weaning, purees, starting solids at 6 months, and on and on. I thought that my mama instincts were telling me that he wasn’t ready- he hadn’t shown any interest in our food.
Of course all of the grandparents started their babies on rice cereal at barely a month old so they were all for it! I caved a little to the peer pressure and decided that we would try it and if he wasn’t into it we would try again in a couple of months. I really thought that he was not going to want anything to do with solids. Boy were my mommy instincts wrong on this one. He loved it! I started him on Plum Organics baby food pouches and so far he has loved everything that he has tried. We have also tried rice cereal and he is a fan of that as well- we bought Earth’s Best Organic Rice Cereal & haven’t had any digestive issues.
My plan right now is to move towards baby led weaning as he gets closer to 6 months, but for now he is really enjoying his “baby” food. I have loved this stage & watching his face as he tries out new flavors is so fun!
Fun- This month we visited a pumpkin patch, went to the zoo for the first time & made a day trip to Charleston! We were out and about a lot more than in his earlier months.
Developments-Levi has been rolling from belly to back since he was a few weeks old, but has not rolled from back to belly. He is starting to be able to balance himself while sitting up for a few seconds, but gets a little wobbly and falls to one side. He loves to “stand up” with someone helping him and he can “stand up” by himself while holding on to something. He is obsessed with having something in his mouth, usually his fist. No signs of teeth yet, but we are seeing more drool. We just got our first giggles this week and it is the sweetest thing ever!
- Taking a bottle- Last Friday night my mom watched Levi while I had a hair appointment and then Hubby and I were going to meet friends for a game night. Well, just as I was getting my hair shampooed my mom called to let me know that Levi was not taking his bottle and was hysterical. So I ran out of the salon with a soaking wet head of hair and made the twenty minute drive home as fast as I could to feed my baby. My poor mom had to deal with a screaming baby for those twenty minutes- thank you to one amazing Grandma! Since then we have tried unsuccessfully to give Levi a bottle but he is not having any of it- he only wants his milk straight from the tap! I know it is my fault because we hadn’t given him a bottle in a few weeks. I am going to keep working on it, but if you have any tips please let me know! Mama needs a night out every now and then!
- Being Held By Others- He is not too sure about anyone besides Mama, Daddy or his grandparents holding him. He cries when he is held by strangers and even family that we don’t get to see regularly. I know he needs to be better socialized so I am looking into some playgroups and working on getting out of the house more during the week. Any tips on this would be welcome as well 🙂
- Tummy time- NOT a fan!
- Watching our dog
- Eating (solids & Mommy’s milk)
- Mr. Elephant- his lovey
- Chewing on his fists
- Dr. Seuss’s ABC Book– every night when he head up to his nursery for our bedtime routine he gets fussy because he doesn’t want to go to sleep, but as soon as we bring out this book he gets SO excited and starts giggling and squirming- it is the cutest thing!
- Being outside- calms him right down!
- Bath time- Hallelujah! He finally doesn’t scream during bath time!
We love you Levi! Thank you for being a ray of sunshine in our lives, sweet boy!